Thursday, December 10, 2009

My first week in site

Tomorrow marks two weeks in Ocotal. The first week seemed so short, more like three days or so. The days were full with meeting my new host family, arranging my room, and taking in the new city. My host sister Carolina and I went to Mozonte, a nearby town, to visit her friend and climb the 187 steps to the highest church. From there we had a great view of the entire valley. The views here are breathtaking, with rugged green mountains and beautiful rolling hills.

That night I met up with some other volunteers in Ocotal at a bar for some chow and live music. Both of my site mates, a volunteer from Canada, and one from Wisconsin all met at La Yunta. We got to chat a bit and then some people danced bachata. There's a fairly decent sized expat population here with all the NGOs and private volunteer programs. The first few days I was here I met Don Roger, a retired PCV who served in Ocotal in 2003-2005. He had a girlfriend and was already retired from the states, so he decided to stay here. He's an interesting bird to talk to, and he always has cold drinks... a big plus.

The next day we took another trip to Jalapa, where Steve lives. Carolina had to pack up a room she had been renting and move the stuff back to Ocotal. While she was doing that, I got to hang out with Steve and see what his site is like. We had fun walking around trying to find his site mate’s house. As we were wondering around, I saw a guy standing next to a scale in his little shop. Apparently he weighs big sacks of grain or whatever that the farmers bring in. Since I hadn't seen a scale in over three months, I couldn't help but ask him if I could use it. However, you know it couldn't be that easy...I don't know the word for scale. So the request came out more like "Hi! How are you? I see that you have the thing that can tell me if I'm fat or not. Can I use it please?" As he was laughing and moving aside to let me us it, I chided him for trying to look at the number. "No looking!" My new favorite Nica word is CHUNCHE, meaning thing. In Jalapa we also went to a nice restaurant with a pool. Apparently up here in the north, pools are very popular. You know what I'll be doing this summer! Right now it's a bit cold... the first thing I do when I wake up is put on my fleece.

After the 3.5 hour ride back from Jalapa, I quickly got ready in time to meet a woman who's trying to get an English group ready for me to teach. She had given me a list of about 30 interested students. Getting my first wiff of real work, I decided to go ahead and meet the students. Well, two showed up! Looks like I'll be waiting a bit to start a class.

On Saturday, I was invited to the end of the year party for a few teachers. In true Nica fashion, my Nica sis Tania and I showed up 30mins- hour. It was a bit awkward, and I felt way out of my element, but they had good food! Even though I felt a bit strange, I'm glad that my counterparts invited me. It has been the only interaction with them apart from the TEPCE that was required. They are all on vacation, resting up a bit from a long year, which is probably only fair. I would probably want to hibernate in my house for a few weeks without any contact, too.

On Monday, Steve came and visted me for the day! Because he doesn't have the PC bank in his town, we hit that up first. After little discussion, we decided on pizza for lunch... which seems like a staple in our diet when we get together. However much we love pizza, we are sometimes a bit surprised with what we get served. This time we got mushroom, onion, CORN toppings. This in combination with the fact that the tomatoe sauce here is more like ketchup made for a thrilling ride for our taste buds. I guess it is better than the green bean and lima bean pizza that Steve had the other day. Pobrecito... it must be so hard to be vegetarian... at least in Nicaragua. After lunch, we walked to the fancy supermarket where Steve had dreams of buying peanut butter, wheat bread, and all sorts of goodies. He ended up walking out with three different types of soap. Apparently Nicaragua is not up to his cleanliness standards. Tehe. We also went by the park, one of the coffee shops, the cyber that I frequent, and finally the library where we checked out a few books. It was so fun to host a Steve in my town... it made me look at the place with a new set of eyes, and it was great to have some company!

The other day was Tania's birthday. My Nica sis finally turned 21 years old. The day before we were talking about what was going to happen. Her mom bought a cake and make the pineapple filling to put between the layers, and I did the icing. It was nice to share the cake with the family and I learned a bit about the cultural difference. In this house, at least, it is custom for the birthday girl to not do anything as a rule. This seemed odd to me because that was always the fun part for me. I enjoy getting in the kitchen and helping the family out with my birthday dinner because that means I get to spend time with them. However, I guess it is different when you live with your family til you are 30. You might want a day's break from them!

I finally decided that I have to meet some new people in town. Mostly I have been hanging out with my host family, which is nice, but they keep asking me why I DON'T go out, if I'm sad, and what I SHOULD be doing. After trying to describe how I felt and my situation, I finally gave them the scenario that they got dropped off in the middle of the United States, where they only knew 5 people, they had no job, but they didn't know exactly what there was to do in town nor could they spend much money. In addition, they weren't completely confident in the language and they couldn't leave town for more than a few hours. What would they do? That finally got their attention and they stopped asking me why I wasn't "doing anything".

However, these conversations did spur me to call up Karissa. She's a volunteer with Travel Alive who has lived here and taught English the past 6 months and is about to leave next week. Karissa has made my time here so much better by introducing me to as many people as she can and just hanging out. Yesterday we met up and walked around her neighborhood, watched some soccer practice, ate ice cream, and then I tagged along to her English and dance classes. We are thinking that I might continue class with some of her students in January. In addition, the dance teacher has dubbed me as the gringa replacement, and apparently I start dance class today at 4. It is a folkloric/latin dance class. I was joking with her that I wasn't meaning to, but it looks like I am stealing her life. I'll really miss her when she leaves on the 18th.

Yesterday I also signed up for an art class. We will be making Christmas decorations and who knows what else. It was about a dollar to sign up and $2.50 each month for the class. The expensive part will be all the materials I have to buy. Although I'm trying to live within my budget that PC gives me, right now I am valuing being in the community more than living humbly.

Well, I think that about covers it... besides the Christmas cards. We'll see when you finally get them, maybe by Valentine's Day. By the way, packages to my new address may not be a great idea (cards are fine). I'm not sure how it is going to work, but give me some time and I'll update you on the best way to do it. Talk with you soon!