Wednesday, February 10, 2010

First week in Ocotal at a host family party

blah, blah, blah.... uh huh... uh huh... nod... yadda yadda yadda

sad face... yak yak blah... no!...

I have no idea what they are saying. It went downhill when they started telling jokes... or maybe it was after the second beer when I lost my attention to pay attention to the whole sentence. The first few words are good, but then I start looking at the street lights, the cars passing, or the drunkard wobbling down the sidewalk. All the words sound familiar; I just can't seem to put them together...

chuckle,chuckle... wah wah wop wah wah... smile and nod...

When did I learn the skill to read someone's body language so well? Somehow I know what they want me to do and when they want me to do it. I watch the body language of everyone else, listen to the rhythm of speech, and look at their faces. Are they expecting a smile, a nod, a frown? Do they want me to laugh, feign fright or shock? Whatever they want to see or hear, I'll do. However, I don't understand a word they say. Do they know I don't understand them? Do they realize that I stopped listening half an hour ago? Does he realize his left eyebrow is lower than his right?