Friday, October 30, 2009

My Site for the 2 years: Ocotal, Nueva Segovia



So I’m going to Ocotal, Nueva Segovia! I’ll be visiting the town this upcoming week. When I get back, I will for sure put some pictures up of my new stomping grounds. But for right now, let me share some of the literature I was given about the area.

General: Ocotal is surrounded on all sides by the highest mountain range in Nicaragua covered with green Ocote pines (hence the name). It is the last major settlement before the Honduran border at Las Manos, 21 km away, and the vast nothingness that stretches eastward to the Carribean. It is the department head of Nueva Segovia, which contains mountains (the Dipilto range), rivers (Coco, Macuelizo and Dipilto Rivers), and valleys. It sits 605.59 meters above sea level.

History: Established in 1780 by Spanish, there were frequent attacks by the Xicaques indigenous group and English PIRATES (yes! Pirates… arrrr!) that came up the Coco River. Now the river doesn’t have enough water to support transit, so I guess we are safe.

During the 1920’s, Ocotal was an important setting in General Augusto Sandino’s revolt against US occupation. Being occupied by Marine forces for most of the 20’s and early 30’s, Ocotal was chosen by Sandino as his first major attack against the Marines. Staging attacks from their barracks in the center of town, he had many successes against the Marines. Frustrated by the setbacks, the Marines called in their air forces from Managua and bombed the city in 1927, giving Ocotal the distinction of being the first city to be aerially bombarded in the Western Hemisphere. Sandino’s forces fled to the surrounding hills and began long-term guerrilla campaign that eventually proved successful.

Population: Ocotal had a population of 37,000 in 2005, of which 99% is urban, making Ocotal the most densely populated city in the country by some estimates. It is estimated that the population will hit 50,000 by 2010. Half of the townspeople are younger than 19, and 54% are women. Hopefully the youth of the city there will be some interested in forming an informal group to learn English, health issues, or talk about gender roles.

Weather: There are two seasons: dry season from mid-November to mid-May, and the wet season for the remainder of the year. Usually there is a month break from the rain July 15- August 15 (good time for a visit…). The annual rainfall is between 800 mm and 1 meter. Weather can be hot during the day and cool at night, so maybe I’ll get use out of my fleece I brought. December and January have highs of 80, lows of 65. April and May have highs of 90+, lows of 75. The surrounding mountains have a much cooler climate.


Water/Electricity:
Some months Ocotal has short electrical outages, and at times there are 7am-5pm planned outages for maintenance. During the dry season, water service is almost always scheduled, functioning a few hours early each morning. I might be waking up at 4 am just to save up some bath water. Water can also go out for DAYS at a time during the rainy season. Purified drinking water is delivered in 5-gallon bottles to your door by several companies which generally charge $1.50 per bottle, including delivery. This might be my best bet.

Economy: Due to its heavy dependence on agriculture as well as having been affected by the war and Hurricane Mitch, Nueva Segovia is one of the poorest departments in Nicaragua. The main source of income is coffee, but other crops include beans, corn, and tobacco. Ocotal is the financial and trading center for the region.

Transportation: I will be able to get a bus to just about every other part of the country. Within the city, there are taxis that run until 8pm. The Pan American Highway goes through the city “straight” to Managua and is in excellent condition. Supposedly, all roads in the city are paved, but the incoming country roads are not. (This can make for a dusty atmosphere during the dry months.)

Communication: I’ll have cell phone and internet service on a daily basis, if I want it. There is even talk that wi-fi and fax machines exist. A post office is right around the corner in town and I’m hoping to share a p.o. box with the other PCVs.

Recreation: I’m movin’ to the big town! There are five supermarkets, variety stores, a farmers market, a dancing club with live music, 2 gyms, swimming pools, a museum, 3 libraries, plenty of hotels and restaurants and a private Spanish language school. There are apparently men and women’s basketball, soccer, football and baseball leagues that play in the multiple stadiums/ fields in the area. Just outside of Ocotal there are great places for hiking and biking, as long as you have a guide.

Health:
There is a hospital and Red Cross in Ocotal. Pharmacies are abundant, as are Health centers.

Central Park: Parque Las Madras, as it is called, was reconstructed to be a tropical garden with more than 100 species of plants. There are magnolias, more than 8 species of roses, orchids, begonias, heliotrope, wild ginger, Jupiter, birds of paradise, gardenias, and pearl of the orient. The cypress and pine trees are more than 100 years old. The park has many benches for sitting, a drink stand, and two pretty water fountains (that don’t work). The park is closed and guarded starting at 10pm (yeah… no gang activity!).

Work: I’ll be working with three counterparts (of 5 English teachers) that work in the same high school. It is said that I have good support from the vice principal and teachers. The principal is new, so I might have to explain my role with Peace Corps a bit. My counterparts haven’t worked directly on methodologies except in recent workshops led by a PCV from a close by community. I’ll have opportunities to collaborate with this PCV to present workshops for the region. There is also a possibility I can work in the university in Ocotal after I make some connections.

Host Family: For the first 6 weeks, I will be living with a woman, her 3 kids (20, 19, 14), and her niece (24). It is supposed to be a two story house with my room upstairs apart from the rest of the house a bit. They have offered to cook my food or let me do that. Depending on how things go, they are willing to have me stay for the two years. If it doesn’t work out, there are other options like an apartment, boarding house, or the computer teacher has offered to let me rent a room in her house.

Other PCVs: Ocotal has never had a TEFL PCV, but there is a Health PCV and Small Business PCV (both female) in the city. The closest TEFL PCV is a 15 minute bus ride away in Mozonte , and Steve is about an hour away in Jalapa. Clara is close by in San Nicolas, Esteli and Jaime is in Esteli, Esteli. These last three people are in my current group of TEFL trainees and we all get along really well. All of us have a high/superior level of Spanish and some teaching experience. We are hoping to do some good collaboration during the two years of service.

Thank you for all your attention and desire to read the above information. Since I’ve read through everything, I’ve been really excited. I think the community holds a lot of great opportunities and plenty of activities for me to get involved with. It might be hard to integrate in, but I’m expecting to get some help from my host family, counterparts, and fellow PCVs. This upcoming week I’ll be able to see what its really like with my own two eyes.