Sunday, September 20, 2009

Why don’t we have a week to celebrate our Independence?

This whole week has been one big celebration, meaning that there was no school and nobody worked… except the gringos. We still had class Tuesday thru Saturday. However, on Monday we did get to observe the parades. They really go all out. It started around 5am with fireworks coming from the park (1/2 a block away) every thirty minutes. I finally threw in the towel and got up around 7 and watched my little host nieces get ready. They marched behind the band because they made such good grades. In Dolores, we had two separate school bands about 45-60 people strong. As you can see in the pictures, the bands consist of almost exclusively percussion. But the truly amazing thing is that they learn to play by ear; it is rare that someone can read music here. There was one little guy who was deaf and mute and was right up front, playing his little heart out. He is related to my host mom, of course.





After watching in Dolores, my host brother Raul and his wife Hazel took me to Jinotepe and we watched another 5-7 schools. It was hot as hell and all these little kids were dressed in heavy uniforms probably intended for use in Michigan during late fall. They were sweating and people were bringing them drinks in the street. They would just stop playing and chug some bottled water or bagged cola. The girls were amazing, shakin’ what their mama gave ‘em and looking like they were ready to pass out. But they put on a show and there were massive amounts of people there to watch. They were pushing and hanging from trees, climbing on anything they could to get a look at the spectacle.


This is Steve drinking cola from a bag. If you´d like to hear about his adventures, check out http://stevenmcarpenter.blogspot.com/
So other than the independence celebration I have been to a lot of technical PC training sessions. We spent half of Wednesday in Diriamba, all day on Friday in Managua and then half of Saturday back in Diriamba. Each time we have 2-3 sessions where current PCVs present topics such as: working with your counterpart, making materials, methods for the classroom, activities to incorporate, etc. They contain good info, but I can speak for most when I say it’s a lot of information. I’m counteracting that by not doing any of the assigned readings.J Instead, I have been reading The Time Traveler’s Wife, which is nice, especially when it rains really hard on the tin roof.
It has been wonderful hanging out with my training site mates (Megan from West Virginia, Elizabeth from outside of DC and Steve from Michigan) everyday and then getting to see all of the TEFL trainees three times a week. We are getting tighter as a group with basically no topics off limits anymore. I’ve been visiting others in their sites to see how they are living. The differences in the houses are sometimes astonishing.
This week I have been able to run twice and look forward to running tomorrow. I finally feel well enough to attempt it and it has made a great difference. It gives me the energy I need to get through class (sometimes this in itself is a feat) and gets me in a better mood. While I’m running, I’m also laughing at all the random things. For example, I had to pass a road full of oxen and really thought I would spook them and they would trample me, but I was good. My host dad, Francisco says that when I’m in a bad mood next time he is going to kick me out of the house and throw me my tennis shoes. He’s right on!
BTW: We were coming back from Managua on Friday in a PC vehicle and we saw that others were swerving into the other lane ahead. When we got up to the spot, we realized why they were doing this. There was a guy passed out cold in the road and no one would go out and get him. Can we say random?
This week we met up with the Project Director, Joayne. She interviewed everyone to learn what their experiences and preferences are. While we were talking, she mentioned that those with teaching degrees will be put in a site that is centrally located in a region so that we can help all the teachers in the region. I will probably be traveling to help observe/evaluate other TEFL volunteers during the first year or so, as well as getting conferences and workshops together for all the English teachers in the area. Who knows, I might be in a big place and possibly even with a site mate. It is way too early to know anything, but you never know.

Well, I hope all is well on the home front and the fall colors are about the change. I’ll really miss seeing it, so if anyone wants to send me some pictures, that would be great. Thank you to everyone who has written me emails in the past week or so (pcnic09@yahoo.com). They really make my day!

PCT Laura Sanders
Cuerpo de Paz
Apartado Postal 3256
Managua, Nicaragua
Centro America